I made a tunic! Whoot!
Ok, truth time. I really, really like it. It fits great, it’s adorable, but the pattern and the instructions gave me fits! I did learn a few things, which I am going to share with you guys of course.
This set of instructions did not include a pattern, but as it was basically squares and rectangles, I managed all right. I just drew a few lines in the appropriate areas and cut it out. Thankfully, the bust was measured out so I knew, for sure, I was a small. The only sewing tip I ever apparently picked up from my grandmother was MAKE IT TEN SIZES TOO BIG JUST IN CASE. I was able to argue myself out of upping it a size.
I need to rename the sewing machine. it’s name is Rachel. No offense to Rachel’s.
The instructions included diagrams, which I found largely unhelpful.
But I did learn things! Yeah! For one, I learned why there was a paint can opener included in my grandmother’s sewing cabinet.
June Dorothy was way too practical to have put this here for no reason…
When I first got the machine, I found a walnut picker thing. I’m sorry, I don’t know exactly what they are called, but I know you use them to pick walnuts out of shells.
So that is just fantastic right there. Anyway, more on the Tunic Tantrum…
why would grandma have a million small weights and a 6″ ruler…oh…oooohhhhhh…
Finally, I stopped taking pictures and got to work. All in all, it took about 5 hours of tantrums, but I finished it! And it looks cute as pie!
I would post some close ups on the details, but I really, really did not do that neat of a job. It looks really cute, but if you get up close you can see where I should have hid some stitches there, or sewn a little straighter here. I might go back and fiddle with it, but I AM NOT DETERRED!
I did forget thread. D’oh!