Firstly, I would like to thank:
My dear friend from Florida, who taught me the basics of crochet all those years ago. She’s also my Maid of Honor!
I would also like to mention, the numerous people who said “it’s too hard” “why don’t you just buy one?” “I could never do that” “why don’t you (enter shortcut of some sort here)”
- No, it was not too hard. Actually, I breezed through it really. Only minor issues here and there.
- No, it did not take too long. It took me a little over two months, and I took several weeks off in between. And I did it while watching TV. At one point, I “timed a row” and it was right around the 20 minute mark.
- No, I will not buy one, this one is hand made and cost (so far) $50
- No, I am not using a short cut when I am completely able to manage myself
- Yes, you could do it if you put your mind to it!
So that takes care of that! I had tried it on, but I am not sharing that picture yet! Mostly, because I have simply wrapped myself in it. It’s not fully together, but the grunt work is done. I have not weaved in the ends (only a dozen or so) because I want to sort out the lining before I fully commit the crochet to done. Also, there is a final round on the bottom I have not done because I want to check the length with the lining. So, basically, the dress is just flat fabric now. Nothing sewn up yet.
Without further ado, the crochet sweatshop:
the top of the…well, top. boulder holders!
I went with a halter top style for the top. I used a halter top I already owned and liked as a basis for the straps. I just mimicked the cut of the top using decreasing stitches until I got it right. That took about 5 tries to get it right on.
The rest of the dress was from the pattern from Crochet Today! The skirt was fully that pattern, only I made it quite a bit longer, which only required a few repeats. Please keep in mind, I am only 5’1″ so the actual pattern was long on me anyway. The bottom of the top was that same pattern, only shrunken down to the appropriate size, which required a bit of math here and there but all in all, not too difficult.
As I said, I have to come up with a lining, and how the heck I am going to get the thing on (I see zippers in my future…or buttons…oh dear, I’m still pretty new to sewing!) and any other details I might add. I tried the dress on over a cotton skirt and it held up beautifully. I might hand sew the crochet to the lining to give it more of a fitted look, but I am not sure about that. We’ll have to see! I’ve (obviously) never done anything quite like this before, so I am taking my time to get it right and leaving myself “options” in case something goes wrong.
So, I think I covered all my bases! I hope you all enjoyed the sneak peek! Now I am off to contemplate linings while playing in the dirt (got some goodies yesterday, I’ll have another post about all that in a bit, going to play outside first!)
Thank you, everyone for reading! Your kind words and encouragement and your blogs and your goings ons and crafting and making do and in general being awesome people have helped me keep inspired and having fun! Thank you! 😀